How to register with the USDA

Learn how to become a USDA-registered pet transporter with step-by-step instructions. It's extremely simple and free!

by Monica DeBosscher, Esq. - Director of Partnerships, Community & Legal Affairs at Good Dog

How Do Pet Transporters Become USDA Registered?

The United States Department of Agriculture’s (USDA) regulations and registration requirements can be difficult to decipher when it comes to pet transporters. We know that some of you may be struggling to transport your pups to their new homes due to the COVID-19 outbreak, and some others may be looking to act as a pet transporter to help out your fellow breeders! It is important to note that if you are interested in acting as a pet transporter, a USDA Class H registration is required by any person transporting dogs between buyers and sellers in exchange for compensation. This includes a “flight nanny” or ground pet transporter, if the flight nanny or ground pet transporter is compensated.

The good news is that it is extremely simple and FREE to become USDA Class H Registered! We break down the registration steps for you below.


Steps to Become USDA Class H Registered

Step 1

Visit the USDA Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service website. You will find six types of licensing and registration available. Most pet transporters will require a Class H (handler) registration. This registration is free!


If you are unsure which requirements apply to you, you can use the USDA’s Licensing and Registration Assistant, a self-service tool that takes 5 minutes to indicate which license and / or registration(s), if any, you require.


Step 2

Once you’ve determined the registration you require, download the application kit from the USDA Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service website. The application will download in the form of a PDF. As mentioned, most pet transporters will require a Class H Registration.


Step 3

Print out the application and fill it in! The form is fairly simple, and must be completed in blue or black ink. Only original applications with original signatures are accepted - the USDA does not accept on-line, phone, emailed, photocopied or faxed applications.

Step 4

Mail in the completed, signed application form! The address the USDA currently uses to collect applications is 2150 Centre Avenue Building B, Mailstop 3W11, Fort Collins, CO 80526-8117. If you have any questions and need to speak with someone from the USDA, you can email them at or call them at (970) 494-7478.

Step 5

Wait for your official USDA certificate of registration to arrive in the mail!

We hope this was helpful! If you need assistance in understanding how any USDA regulations might apply to you or your breeding programs or if you need any help with the registration process, you can email us anytime at! We also note that the USDA understands the severity of the global pandemic and hopes to be as accommodating as possible during this time. We encourage you to contact the USDA directly if you would like to discuss your specific situation or would like to request a temporary waiver for any USDA registration or licensing requirements.

Does our mission resonate with you? Apply to join our Good Breeder community today.